Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Welcome

Welcome to ShowMeHistory.net.   Everyone has their interests and passions.  One of my passions is Missouri History.  My interest in Missouri History grew from that of my own family history.  As a child, it was common for family stories to be shared during family gatherings and dinners; and in my family this included the weekly Sunday dinner (dinner in to many refers to the most significant meal of the day and, as in the case in my family the most significant meal on Sundays was the noon time, post-church meal).

The stories I heard included accounts of family members as far back as my numerious great-great-grandparents.  In addition, I was very close to my maternal grandmother and she often told me stories about my grandfather (who died when I was 1), her grandmother and aunts who raised her, and many other family members I did not have the opportunity to know.

In 1996, I was given a box of old papers from the family farm (where my grandfather was born) -- land where at least 6 generations of my family lived.  In this box of papers were letters from the War Between the States, tax documents dating back to the 1830s, and numerous other papers relating not only to my family history but the History of Missouri.

In my quest to learn about my family, I learned that my own history was intertwined with Missouri History.   Personal accounts of Civil War battles, ancestor involvement with the formation of the state (David Barton is an ancestor), and family involvement in many of the critical moments in the state brought to life in me an appreciation of events that I was previously disconnected and had no attachment.

I hope this blog helps you identify with Missouri History, learn something you  may not have known, and appreciate the lives of those that have gone before us.

No comments:

Post a Comment